Saturday, July 3, 2010

Sister A.................Thinking Green................


Part 1

It was only a matter of time before I knew Sister A would have to deal with an issue horse owners are used to but non-horsey folks seem to view with disdain. That was the matter of poop.

There's not much you can do with horses without having to deal with the green stuff at one time or another. With me taking my young horses to the park for their first times ever, it was reasonable to assume that poop would be a by product of the experience.

Just like any young horses in new situations their physiological reaction to stress produced the green matter in various forms from runny soup to the more normal version. Whatever form it takes to get there isn't nearly as important as how much there is. A horse's stress level can easily be ascertained by how much poop is produced.

I think you can tell a person's true desire to be around horses by how well they deal with this particular subject, don't you think? Anyone who shies away at the presence of poop just isn't going to cut the mustard as a horse enthusiast. It's one of those things that goes with the territory. You have to be willing to deal with it or run as fast as you can to escape exposure.

Each of my youngsters produced it just by being tied to the horse trailer, let alone asking them to do any work in this new, strange environment. It was only a matter of time before Sister A would arrive on the scene at the beginning of a work out instead of at the end.

Up until now by the time the woman had arrived I think the youngsters were all pooped out, if you get my drift. She hadn't had to deal with this natural by product of the horsey experience. I wondered what her reaction might be. Would she be repelled and flee, and maybe leave us to our work? Of would she just deal with it so she could spend time with the horses?

It didn't take long for the question to be decided. It was in that first week when I'd met Sister A that she came up just after I'd arrived. I'd taken Percy out of the horse trailer and had just tied him to it when I heard Sister A approaching in her normal way. "Hey!.............Lady!.....................I see you!................Lady, God loves you!...................I love you!..................Hey!.............You!...........Lady!..................."

Sister A slowed down as she came to the bottom of the small hill walking towards the horse trailer. Percy didn't seem to notice her approach. The horse was more interested in all of his surroundings at the moment. He was looking around and fidgeting as I got brushes from the horse trailer to begin grooming.

Sister A walked up speaking in her usual excited and exuberant voice. I could see her watching the horse's movement so she could decide if it was safe to approach or not.

Percy seemed to stopped fusing and so Sister A proceeded on up to our location. The horse's tail went over his back and you can guess what followed.

Sister A squealed, half with delight, and half with disdain. There was definitely an "EeeeeewwwwwwW" quality in the tone but the woman didn't retreat. "My L O R D!.................I d e c l a re!...........I've n e v e r ......................." followed by a choked giggle. Sister A didn't know what to think. I'm pretty sure that was a first.

I grabbed my fork from the horse trailer and scooped up the green glob placing it in a bucket. Sister A watched intently like I was on some meaningful mission. Then she remarked about the fact I actually cleaned up after my horse. "Lady!..............You actually clean that stuff up?" she questioned.

I explained it is one of my pet peeves. There are signs posted everywhere telling people to clean up after their horses. Yet, many people leave the facility a mess because they don't clean up after their animals. This beautiful place we have to ride won't always be there if people don't take care of it. I always clean up after my horses and I've been known to remind others to do the same.

Sister A appeared to be thinking. She was quiet for the longest time since I'd met her. All because of the subject of poop. Whooda thunk?

To be continued.........................

Which Horse

Visit Blog Village and vote daily for this blog Here Rankings are measured by the number of votes out, so if you find my blog on the site, please click that link to improve my rankings. TY

1 comment:

  1. I can always count on Jaz to produce a pile in the trailer even before the door is closed. We call him Sir Poopsalot.

    ReplyDelete