Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Speaking of the Twins......... Happy Birthday, Babies....





The Twins' Story.



It's hard to believe but the twins are six years old today. This picture was taken of them when they were about three days old. It was when a reporter for the Tacoma News Tribune had come to see them and Surprise was much more interested in the camera and the man behind it, than Trouble was.

This was just a couple of days before Surprise began to show signs of illness which ended this trio in intensive care at Pilchuck Veterinary Hospital in Snohomish. Boy does that feel  like a long time ago.. It was actually the filly's lack of inquisitiveness that alerted me that something was wrong and the early diagnosis probably saved her life.

A lot of things have changed since the twins were born. I certainly couldn't have predicted the twists and turns that life would take. It seemed like the birth of these two babies was about as complicated as life could get. Funny how time changes everything including our perspective.

So here we are six years later and the twins are probably not fully grown but definitely much bigger than anyone expected for twin foals of their size. Weighing in at about 50 pounds each a birth, the two of them together would have made one very large Arabian foal. Since twins are known to grow proportionately to their birth weight, it would be reasonable to assume their mature height might be in the 12 to 13 hand range.

Drum roll please............... both Trouble and Surprise are right about 14 hands. They still lack the length in body of a mature horse. Since that seems to be changing literally as we speak, I suspect there is still some maturing and maybe even in a little height left for the two of them.

I apologize for the lack of current pictures but I promise they are not far off. If the mud will just go away so I can get pictures of the little darlings clean, I promise they will follow shortly. The winter hair is nearly gone and my herd is looking pretty wonderful again. It does my heart good to see their pretty faces emerging from underneath that winter wool.

 Trouble still believes he is a lady killer so I won't be taking pictures of the twins loose together. Poor Surprise has had it with her brother jumping on her and I have promised her she does not have to endure anymore of that indignation from her bratty brother. so she goes out with the girls  while Trouble tries to rule a herd of geldings.  Pictures will probably be of each with their current set of friends.

The weather was beautiful  today so Surprise got a spa day today. A couple of young women came and primped over her and she was a very happy filly. Her black coat glistened in the sunshine as she grazed in the yard soaking up the sun AND the attention.

Trouble got his  spa day yesterday and he was quite indignant about it. He much prefers rolling in the dirt or mud to being washed, thank you very much but he sure has grown into a cute little varmint.

Smazourek asked about how the two of the fared with their angular limb deformities and I am pleased to report, they look pretty darn good. Considering what we had to work with, they each have a pretty good set of wheels.

Happy Birthday...........Babies!

11 comments:

  1. I am so happy to read this update.
    Yesterday I spent HOURS reading your posts from the twins' birth forward. I was not blogging then and I had no idea. I was on the edge of my seat! I am so glad to hear that they are doing well and I look forward to pictures.
    Have you put the posts into a book? You need to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thanks for the update :)

    How wonderful that you had some helpers come in and groom your babies for you. Too bad Trouble didn't seem to appreciate it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your beautiful twins!! Would love to see recent pix of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad they grew up healthy! Was sure a lot of worry when they were sick. It is amazing how ones perspective changes as life goes on, sure never seems to get easier though. But I also heard we are only tested as much as we can take, so you must be super strong! Csnt wait to see growed up pictures of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MiKael, You have no idea the size of the smile I'm wearing hearing that they've made the 14 hand mark! Something always made me picture them around that size when I'd try to imagine them grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to seeing new pics of your herd. They're all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know when I met them they looked wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! So much success for you in managing twins with such good results! Looking forward to photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday to the Twins!

    It's wonderful to hear that they've grown to a very decent size. I can't wait to see photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! Can't wait for photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday to the twins!
    and Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete