Tuesday, September 14, 2010

An Update on Solidare's Boy



If there's ever been any question in my mind that Solidare's foal was coping just fine without his mother, it was allayed one day in the middle of last week. Returning from a riding session at the park, I was greeted by Dare galloping across the field running to greet Legs. The mare was trumpeting a seductive love song to the stallion as she executed an impressive rollback at the fence. The last thing on her mind was Solidare's colt.

While Dare may not have been thinking about Solidare's foal, he was definitely thinking about his newly adopted mother. As Dare raced across the grass, the little guy raced tight behind her right at the left hip. His tail was flagged up over his back as he bleated his complaints. "MOM..........MOM..........Wait for me!!!!!!!" He looked just like any other foal chasing after his dam in a similar situation. Anyone who didn't know better would have never been able to tell this was the colt's sister..............and not his mother.

From the way my horse trailer was rocking and rolling, I knew Legs was totally aware of the mare's intentions even before he returned her call. Over the sound of my truck's noisy diesel engine I could still hear the distinctive squeals that confirmed the mare must be in full blown heat. At that moment I was relieved the conversation was happening while I was still driving instead of standing in close proximity to either horse. The volume was definitely up there enough to make my ears ring.

With all that racket going on, the last thing I expected to hear was the sound of a foal. I did, however, look around to see where he was in the midst of all this ruckus. The colt was keeping a safe distance as Dare snaked her gorgeous neck over the fence trying to get close enough to get a real sniff of Legs. Solidare's colt stomped his foot demanding Dare's immediate attention as he screamed his displeasure at this interruption of his morning graze.

I had to laugh just a bit at the little guy's arrogance thinking he could avert the mare's attention from his dad. I'd seen him pull that number of couple of times when Solidare had been visiting with Legs in days past. It did indeed look like the colt is pretty content with his surrogate mother.

I suspect when the time comes to wean this guy away from Dare things may not be quite so easy. I've been putting Doc and Trouble out in the round pen for turnout so this little guy can get the opportunity to meet them. So far he's shown no interest in leaving Dare's side long enough to investigate. That will probably take some time but we have plenty of that. In the meantime Dare's content with her tag along adopted son so it's all good.

6 comments:

  1. So glad he is doing well! Is that him in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's adorable. Glad to hear he's doing so well with his adoptive mother, now if she would just keep her mind on her job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. fernvalley, yes, that is him looking quite proud of himself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear he's doing well. He looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, doncha love it when you find a foster mommy that takes good care of the littles?

    ReplyDelete