Sunday, May 9, 2010

Derby Thoughts Lead to Secretariat and Maybe Beyond

While watching the pre-show of the Kentucky Derby I heard mention of the new Disney movie to be released this fall on the great Secretariat. Of course, I'll be right there at the box office to see that movie because I love those stories of great horsesm let alone those that weren't really expected to be great in the first place. It seems that Secretariat was one of those colts. No one knew at the start he was anything particularly special. Yet he's considered by some to be the greatest race horse of all time.

As thoughts of the great red horse ran through my head, I realized that I hadn't seen all three of his wins in the triple crown. With today's modern technologies I suspected I could probably "fix" that situation by locating old footage on YouTube. Being able to see it after the fact is better for me than never seeing it at all so I went in search and here's what I found.


Secretariat running the Kentucky Derby



Secretariat at the Preakness




Secretariat at Belmont Stakes



Calvin Boreal said at the Derby this year he thinks his colt, Super Saver, IS the next great colt. He has never predicted a triple crown winner before and some think maybe we should be paying attention to what this jockey has to say. He does study his horses to get inside their heads before he rides them. Maybe he knows something and the next big dream is looming around the corner. I don't know about you, but I'm going to be there watching just in case. I don't want to miss another opportunity to see a Triple Crown Winner in REAL time!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I had never seen Secretariat run before. What a horse!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting about Super Saver . Now I am off to watch the videos! Secretariat ! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for the videos, I'll definitely come back when it's not so late to watch them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even in Australia I have heard about Secretariat, if they make a movie about him, I will be there on the opening night at our local cinema to watch it!

    Loved watching those races, they were really exciting and amaaing, thank you for finding them and posting them here.

    Karren from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for those videos! he was truly a spectacular horse. Like the book says, 'the horse that God built'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Secretariat was a great horse! But I quietly mourn all horses in the greedy industry of racing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was 13 when we had this triple crowner. Staying at my Aunt's beach house @ Outer Banks, NC.
    Watching w my horse crazy cousin, we cheered, we jumped, we screamed, and then cried. We watched racing history being made that day on a small black and white, snowy screen.
    Thanks for the wonderful memory!!!

    ReplyDelete