Thursday, August 27, 2009

Still Waiting..............

Part 1

Wouldn't you just know it. I missed Robin Hopkinson's call when she did call me back. As it turned out, the other colt was in great condition but her message said she and Sandro Pinha would try to help me find another handler if that's what I wanted. Of course, I immediately called her back leaving her the message that any help would be appreciated. I wouldn't show my colt if I couldn't find a handler.

As it's been mentioned in the comments all the waiting to find out if I had a handler or not was stressful. I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride with no end in sight. The date for the Region 5 All Arabian Horse Championships just kept getting closer and closer and I wasn't any closer to having a handler than when I'd first started looking.

I knew that Cheryl Fletcher from Silver Aspen Ranch who had shown Rhet at the Region 4 Championships already had a colt for Region 5. She'd given me that information when she first agreed to show Rhet in Region 4. I'd asked her to let me know if she had any ideas of who might show Rhet also. I felt like I had all the eyes and ears possible I could working on this thing. If it was meant to be, it would happen.......otherwise, I was going to quit sweating it.

The Region 5 show had started and I was over at Richard's working horses. We were talking about my plans for nationals which were still pretty "iffy." Like....if I couldn't get a handler for Region 5, what made me think I could get one for nationals..........kind of iffy. Along with would I have the money for entries.......etc. Everything was really up in the air.

I wondered if Jesse Saldana had a colt to take to nationals. If he didn't would he lead Rhet now that he's seen him. From there it went to making a phone call to check in with Jesse and maybe feel things out.

Richard played it cool. When he got Jesse on the phone he didn't jump right in there with his question. Instead he let Jesse ask what was going on in his life. Richard's answer was "Not much since we hadn't found a handler to lead "his" colt (Can we insert here, I always laugh when Richard refers to him as "his" colt?).

Jesse's response to that statement was he was coming to Region 5. "What day did the colt show?" Would you believe the yearling colt's class was the last day of the horse show, the last class of the day? Jesse said he'd check with his wife to see if his airline ticket could be changed and give us a call back.

Now, I know what you're thinking........waiting again. This darn show is already in progress. How much more time is there to wait? But this time the call came in less than an hour. Jesse's ticket was changed and I had a handler for my colt.

There were a few details to be worked out. Jesse wanted to know when Richard would be there. When would my colt be on the grounds? The only real draw back to this whole plan was with the post entry about sticker shock. Between them and the fee for Jesse I didn't really have the money to take both horses. For the first time in a long time, I'd be leaving Legs at home.

Then, wouldn't you just know it, within an hour I got a call from Robin Hopkinson. She was checking in with me to see if I had a handler yet. It was nice to see her follow through........and it made me laugh just a bit. I had no handler and I had sweated it for three weeks. Then suddenly I had multiples. Funny how things work out sometimes.

To be continued..........


Visit Blog Village and vote daily for this blog Here They are now measuring the rankings by the number of votes out, so if you find my blog on the site, please click that link too to improve my rankings. TY


  1. WOW, I didn't see that coming!!! What GREAT news!
    I can see you getting a laugh at Richard and "his colt", and yet...if calling Rhet "his colt" had any influence on this situation...LAUGH AWAY, histerically (who's name is on the registeration? humm?)!!!
    Really, it's great to have good friends who share your goal!

  2. All right! On with the show!!!

    Good luck!