Wednesday, December 17, 2008

MiKael and Richard........Down for the Count!


Some days it just doesn't seem like it pays to get out of bed. It's been a while since I've had one of those days but today definitely suits that description.

It started off with a trip to the surgeon's office. I was hoping he was going to tell me I could go back to my horse duties. But I was expecting him to tell me something was wrong and I was going to have to have another surgery.

Well, I was wrong about another surgery. He told me I was healing just fine(although I still hurt like h*ll). However, it turns out that original quote of 1 to 2 weeks to heal doesn't fit my case. Because of the extensive amount of tissue that had to be removed, it's going to be a least another month before I am healed.

Not only is that NOT what I wanted to hear...........it really frustrates the crap out of me that I get the most important details AFTER the fact. Not that a 6 week recovery time would have affected the timing of this surgery but it would have affected the preparations I made and some of the decisions I made regarding my horses. To say I am frustrated would be a GROSS understatement.

And, just for the record, I know I have not stated the exact nature of my surgery here.....but what the heck.......after all of this you might as well know. I had surgery for hemorrhoids.........some pretty darn ugly ones. They got that way because my family doctor didn't think they were all that bad when I complained about them. I finally had to challenge him with the fact they were making it impossible for me to sleep to get a referral for the surgery at all. Now instead of a week maybe two recovery, I am looking at at least another month, maybe more, before I can ride.........or even work horses on the ground. Can't risk putting undue pressure on those stitches....like when I almost feel the other day. I an NOT a happy camper at the moment.........for more reasons than my still aching b*tt.

Then if that wasn't enough I made a call to AHA (Arabian Horse Association) because I noticed on the datasource that one of my Legs' daughters isn't showing up as Sweepstakes Nominated. Since I always nominate my foals but I've had some problems with AHA's records in keeping track of my contract payments, I was prepared for the worst.........and that's exactly what I got.

According to their records I didn't pay $20 plus interest of a $400 nomination fee and they dropped my entry from the program. This is not the first time I have had such a problem with them. Even when I tracked down all by bank records, including having to order records etc, they still got things screwed up the last time around. It was a huge mess to get cleaned up and I'm not expecting much better on this one. The worst part is this was all done 4 years ago (which is about how long it took the last time to find out they'd made a mistake). Searching through those old records is going to be yet another pain in the b*tt and I have to petition the Sweepstakes Commission see if they will reinstate the horse.

Later in the afternoon I called Richard to update him on my doctor's visit only to find he was at a doctor himself.........well, a chiropractor. He's still having problems from baling off Tag last week. Angie finally convinced him he needed some help.

The chiropractor took x-rays and found not 1, not 2, but 3 broken..... not ribs.............vertebrae in his back. That's right, Richard has 3 broken vertebrae in his back. Two it looks like have cracks. One has a large piece broken off that is shifted away from the vertebrae it broke off from.

The chiropractor said Richard should be complaining of a pain level of a 10 out of 10 instead of a 7 out of 10. Richard's response was he's felt a 10 and this isn't it.

The chiropractor, obviously, couldn't do anything for Richard. He did say that in his 30 years he's never seen anything like it. He couldn't believe that Richard did this hitting dirt.........concrete would make more sense. But then sometimes when you put Richard and I together, I'm not sure if there is any sense........or rhyme or reason to things..........but other times we're a magical team..........but I digress.............

Richard's doctor's office was already closed for the day. It will be tomorrow before Richard or Angie can even talk with them to figure out what the next move might be. But for now, Richard is down for the count...........still saying he's going to be fine and riding in a day or two.............but definitely down for the count.

Me............. I'm down for the count too! I'm pretty sure that makes my third pain in the b*tt in just one day. Doesn't that mean I've stuck out or something????

Between the 2 of us, the prognosis for riding anytime soon does not look good. I'm thinking these young horses of mine are definitely going to be getting some time off. That's not what bothers me nearly as much as figuring out what I am going to do to keep myself occupied and out of trouble for this long a time...........I know that Richard is worried about the same thing too. Two over achievers like us don't sit still very well!

Visit Blog Village and vote daily for this blog Here They are now measuring the rankings by votes out, so if you find my blog on the site, please click that link too to improve my rankings. TY

13 comments:

  1. Didn't think your hemorrhoids were all that bad? that seems like stupid thinking on the "family doctors" part. But what do I know? not much.. lol.

    BTW, how do you think you got hemorrhoids? what causes hemorrhoids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wished I could load up and come work horses for you for a while. I feel the need to get away from my family for a bit. I promise I would listen and do whatever you and Richard told me to.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no - not great news about your recovery time - but kinda good in that the healing time is normal and that soemthing else isn't amiss...

    Poor Richard- broken vertebrae? Good thing he went in for x-rays. If he had gone back to work too soon he could have re-injured his back with some dire consequences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm popping my Tums for calcium as I'm reading this...

    Sounds like you need a new family dr if that's what it took to get you to a surgeon! And how disappointing that you're stuck with a few more weeks. So sorry to hear that...but with this weather, it's no fun being out there anyway, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about all the things going wrong. Richard needs to see an orthopedist. I would say you should try and relax and enjoy the Christmas season. You deserve a rest. While you're recuperating you get a chance to catch up on organizing(like you said in one of your recent posts). Why don't you start your book after the New Year.It's also a good time to learn how the new camera works. I hope you're recovery is quicker than the doctor said it would be, so you don't go completely mad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's very unfortunate for both of you. A broken back is something that will nag Richard the rest of his life probably. It's hard to recover 100%. I had the same surgery as you after my second pregnancy. It can't recall if I had stitches, though. It was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry the two of you are not doing so well. If it's any consolation, at least it's winter and not spring or summer when you would really be going stir crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! Sounds painful for all! Heal well and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh.... been there, done that with the hemorrhoid surgery. Planned it after riding season, too. Yeah, recovery was tough but no complications. If I can offer you some hope, its been about 6 or 7 years for me and I have never had a problem again. So hang in there.

    For the person who asked, mine were caused by pregnancy & childbirth which I understand is quite common.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I don't even know what to say. That's a lot to deal with. I am sending healing vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, my surgery is tomorrow! I hope I don't have six weeks of healing time or my boss will be seriously mad at me. It needs to be 1 - 2 weeks like they told me or I'm in real trouble. :(

    I hope you continue to heal and tht it goes quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HO HO HO

    Back in the saddle again
    I hope your B_tt and Richards back
    heal soon,

    Happy Holidays SB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boys will be boys...thank goodness he went and got x-rays!

    ReplyDelete