Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Baby Boomer Dreams of Arabian Horses - The Legacy Continues - Part 4

Part 1 of the Legacy Continues

The vet and I did manage to get the transfusion into the new filly. Her second round of IgG scores was close to 1600 so that was one less thing to worry about. It looked like we were in good shape.

However, by the end of the week, the filly had spiked a fever. The newborn Arabian foal was lethargic and running a temperature that was fluctuating between 102° and 105°. She still seemed to be nursing OK but things just didn't look good.

My vet checked her over thoroughly. But he couldn't figure out what was going on. Neither of us was comfortable with her temperature. It was time to bring in the big guns. The filly and her mom were headed for the Pilchuck Veterinary Hospital in Snohomish, WA. immediately.

I can't even tell you what it felt like to have to load that mare and her newborn foal into the trailer. Heiress hadn't been in a horse trailer since that day she had come to live at my farm. I didn't even know if she would load but the mare went in like she'd been doing it her whole life. I carried her filly in my arms and laid her at the mare's feet. Heiress seemed to know that something was wrong.

The trip to transport them to the hospital was a blur. I just couldn't get it through my head that this was even happening. My denial was wrapped around me like a blanket protecting me from the pain. When I did think, all I could think of was that precious little foal. Thoughts of losing her bounced in and out of my head like ping pong balls bouncing off of walls. It was a terrifying trip.

Once a Pilchuck, the docs swooped in and scooped up my filly before I could get my parking brake set. In no time the mare and foal were settled into the intensive care unit.

Blood draws were done along with a bunch of other tests. An IV was started as well. I'd have given anything to see any signs of foal wrestling. But there were none. The filly was too sick to put up a fight. My heart sank. She was definitely declining.

Through all of the commotion, Heiress was a champ. She seemed to understand they were taking care of her baby. She stood back and watched everything they did. She wore the most forlorn look on her face but she was careful to stay out of their way. She didn't try to escape out the door either, she just stood watch over her sick foal.

It seemed like hours before they had anything to say. The problem was, they really had nothing to say. They had no idea why the beautiful filly was so sick. So far none of the tests had disclosed any useful information. It was time for me to go home. There was nothing more I could do. I just had to trust she was in good hands.

To be continued.............

The Legacy Continues Part 5


  1. O.M.G! I really hope this has a happy ending. I'm so glad that the stud we've chosen will take the mare back for foaling (if Ruby ever gets that far!)and has all the veterinary facilities close by.

  2. Well, you are a most gifted story teller. And the compassion you show is remarkable. I am like you in that respect. My heart sinks when I see a squirrel limping along. Anyway, I do hope the filly gets well and the mare becomes happy again. I hope the story concludes with them in the pasture in the sunshine.

  3. Awwww...I'm in tears here! :( That poor baby! *fingers crossed* that baby pulled through alright!

  4. Yikes. Very scary. Perfect place though. I love Pilchuck. Costs a pretty penny, but they are good!

    I'm hoping the filly ends up just fine. I'll be watching for the next installment.

  5. Poor baby! That must have been scary for everyone.

  6. Ooh, I just want to know the name of the filly, and now I read she is going to Pilchuck. Anyways, they are good vets, so that makes me real hopeful that this story has a good ending. Oh, and I'd and I'd also like to know, is she still a dummy foal, from the way she was born??? I think if I was assisting the labor, once I could get a good hold of the foal, I would of just slided the foal right out. That's what I did, when I delivered a breech goat. I can still remember pulling the doeling out, and seeing all her pretty spots. And she just slid out so smoothly too. Anyways, totally waiting to read more!! so don't take too long writing! lol.

  7. Will be following this story closely, I have been there know what it feels like.



  8. Oh man, not another traumatic event! :-(