Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Baby Boomer Dreams of Arabian Horses - The Search Part 3


Part 1 of the Baby Boomer Series

Part 1 of The Search

Sure enough this was the place. A middle aged woman surrounded by rescued greyhounds opened the door. She was an ordinary looking woman. There was nothing that jumped out at me as the "type" to be breeding fancy horses. (That's if there is a type! LOL) Clearly there was still a question in my mind that maybe this trip had been a waste of time.

She invited us in while she readied the dogs to run in the yard so we could head down to the barn. The whole time she was muzzling these ex-racing dogs, she was babbling about rescue greyhounds and how she had come to be so involved.

I have to admit I was getting impatient. I hadn't come along to met rescued dogs and learn about them. I was dying to see horses, great Arabian horses. Although I must admit watching those five or six dogs race each other around the yard was an impressive sight once she finally turned them loose.

Finally, we were heading towards the barn. Although we couldn't even see it yet the woman assured us it was there, just out of sight. We walked a ways down an embankment before I even spotted the roof of the structure.

When we reached the bottom of the hill I could see It was an older barn, probably the same generation as the house. But unlike the house it was well made and well cared for. It was easy to see the priorities here were the animals.

I remember the layout of the barn seemed strange. We went through a door into some kind of room and down a small aisle heading towards the door that led outside to the horses. There wasn't the typical wide aisle down the middle with stalls on each side. To this day I still don't understand how the stalls laid out in relationship to the door where we entered and the one we exited to get to the fields with the horses.

There were a couple of young stallions in stalls with large paddocks off of them that we passed. Our guide nonchalantly pointed them out as we headed out a door and into a large field. I remember bay and that's about it. I didn't even get enough time to focus on either Arabian horse.

Once we got outside we could see off in the distance a paddock with the JK Amadeus daughter inside. Other than that there wasn't a horse anywhere in sight in front of us. Behind us, we could hear the two young stallions running in their paddocks probably face boxing over the fences.

The yearling filly was screaming and running the fence like something was after her. Her tail was rolled up over her back and her eyes bulging from her head. I really couldn't tell you to this day if she was scared, upset or just plain hotter than a pistol.

I can tell you she was a pretty thing. She was coal black in color and seemed to be pretty good size. Her neck was set on high and was long and hooky. The lay back on her shoulder was gorgeous, and I do mean gorgeous! Her back was short and her hip nice and deep. To top it off she had a small well shaped head with cute tiny ears and enormous liquid eyes.

As the young Arabian horse moved around the paddock her hind legs reached well underneath propelling her forward in the floaty trot Arabian horses are know for. This filly definitely looked to have to talent of an english horse. But then, that would make sense with a pedigree such as hers.. She was out of a Safire daughter. Safire was a big trotting son of the legendary Bask. This filly was definitely breed to trot.

We watched her for a while as she cavorted around that paddock. We tried to move her around the pen to see if we could control her movements enough to settle her some. We would have liked to get close to her and maybe a little hands on inspection. But the filly was having none of it. She just kept snorting and blowing and flying around that enclosure strutting her stuff like the magnificent creature she was.

After a bit, the woman asked if we would like to see the broodmares. Both Betty and I jumped at the chance even though we hadn't a clue where more horses might be hiding on this place. We followed her out through a gate and into another field. I swear there wasn't a horse in sight.

With a piercing whistle she summoned the as yet unseen horses. Immediately we could hear the thundering of hooves off in the distance. Then, as if from out of nowhere, rising up over a knoll came the most gorgeous band of Arabian mares I have ever seen.

The sight was breath taking. The hairs on my arms stood on end. Goosebumps travelled down my spine. It was difficult to comprehend the sight before us. As magnificent as any piece of fine art, these mares were the epitome of Arabian type.

I can't even tell you how many mares we saw that day. All I know it it was amazing. I would guess there were maybe a dozen or so. Mothers, daughters and grandmothers, each as majestic and magnificent as the other. Even though each horse was singled out and her pedigree disclosed, it was impossible for me to see them as individuals, I was so blown again by them collectively.

I do remember they were predominantly grays with chestnuts and bays sprinkled in. The Safire daughter, mother of the filly, was there and her mother and grandmother and of course, sisters and aunts. The matriarch of the herd was the Gamaar daughter, Gamaay Rose. The differences between them were so subtle, it was like they were all the same horse except for color. The consistency was most impressive.

Imagine yourself standing surrounded by an entire band of the magnificent creatures vying for your attention. Talk about a way to make my day!! I just couldn't get enough but finally our host suggested that we head back up to the house. She had pictures to show of these and other horses she had bred over the years.

We sat there for what seemed like hours pouring over picture albums of horse after horse. All the while the woman rattled off pedigrees and shared relationships to the greats in the Arabian show world. Of course, it was way too much information for me to absorb. I remember only snippets. I wish I could have taped that conversation. It was a valuable as the mares we'd left in her fields.

To this day the sight of those mares is etched firmly in my mind's eye. I clearly remember thinking some day I'm going to own a band of mares like this. Someday.............

To be continued.............

Part 4

The artist is Jenness Cortez and the work is titled Arabians After the Storm. Poster prints of this artwork are available for purchase.


11 comments:

  1. Oh the dreams... I bet that day was awesome. I'd love to have a broody band just like that some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Mikael--I think I could hear the herd as I was reading:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I think you do have a very impressive herd of mares.
    But, can you whistle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great entry and my goodness...I can imagine that sight! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is certainly a beatiful picture you paint with words you ahve a gift there;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I can just picture in my mind all those pretty mares. I had dreams like that when I was a kid, and I thought some day I would outgrow it. Never happened. I think I spend even more time now dreaming about horses!

    BTW, I love that painting. Any idea who the artist is?

    ReplyDelete
  7. lady of chaos, That's been my dream! Just thinking about them still gives me goose bumps.

    photogchic, I'm glad that you could hear them, it was just so darn impressive I really wanted everyone to be able to enjoy it too.

    molly, you are right, I have been fortunate enough to get some great mares but my whistle is weak at best! lol

    equinespirit, I so wish I had a picture from that day!!

    wolfbaby, thank you, I think it's the passion spilling over. lol

    showmama, me too, I'm dreaming about them all the time.

    I have no idea about the artist, I coudlnt' make the signature out and there was no credit given where I found it.

    Also, about pedigrees and Dare mares, go to my website and email me so we can converse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OM Gosh I wish I had been there with a camera, that is a photographer's dream!!! Great storytelling. (((Hugs)))

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this post, was sooo good!!! I too imagine hearing those mares hooves coming by the call of a whistle. And I do imagine their beauty!! it definitely sounds like this lady put more work was put into these horses, than anything else.:) these horses sound great, so I could only imagine how beautiful, we would of all loved pictures :). I wish I could of been there, I would of enjoyed seeing these horses... they just sound like, some really really nice horses.

    But you know what, I think I would of been the same, and I think it's way funner working with the animals,horses, ect, than house chores :) Chaos and I, both agree on that, don't we!! :) well, except for when it's pouring rain.... the goats agree on that too. They don't like when it pours either. But that's cause they know they can get sick, if they get too wet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The painting in this post is "Arabians After the Storm" by Jenness Cortez. But you need to be careful about copyright laws on Blogger when posting other people's work. Giving credit isn't usually good enough. You need permission from the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, anonmyous, for the information. I will contact the artist. I would really like to use this for the header on my blog because it so represents my story and how I got into Arabians.

    ReplyDelete