Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Baby Boomer Dreams of Arabian Horses - Rhythm's Story - The Arrival

Part One of the Baby Boomer Series

Rhythm's Story starts here

It would be remiss of me to forget to mention that the whole time I was making preparations for shipping the horse from here to his new home, Rich Baker was busy building that new home, adding not only a stall to his barn but also setting up a run.

They knew because of Rhythm's attitude the horse would have to have his totally own digs. There would be no turning this horse out with the other horses to play. I would guess that's not what they'd thought of when they first made the plan to buy a new horse. Rich had his hands full.

Rich was probably running circles as much as I was, only for a horse he had never seen. By the time the horse got on the van, Rich was still doing the finishing touches on the new accommodations. I think maybe he was to the point of the painting, putting down mats and other odds and ends.

Frankly I can't remember how many days it actually took for the Arabian horse to arrive at his new destination in Massachuettes. I knew when he left here he was was headed for Kentucky. Then after a brief layover there, the horse was supposed to be going in a different rig up to his new home in Carver, Mass.

The horse left here the week of our annual open house so there was plenty to keep me occupied as the horse travelled across the country in record breaking heat. It was the second week of July, the hotest week of the season. This whole thing had started about four weeks before and it seemed like it had been a whirlwind of activity. So having him leave amid another whirlwind somehow seemed to fit.

I was too darn busy with show clipping. bathing and last minute details to even notice the horse was gone. Not that I didn't think of him at the end of the day as I collapsed into bed, I was just so darned exhausted that the thought was simultaneous with sleep grabbing me.

For brief instances here and there throughout the day I did wonder about how he was travelling but I didn't have enough free time to worry much. Not until the day I knew the horse was supposed to arrive, that's when I began to get worried. I had an approximate delivery time and it haunted me. It came and went and I hadn't heard a thing.

I finally couldn't stand it any longer and called Rich Baker to see if Rhythm had arrived. Rich and Brittany were just as frustrated as I. The plans had been changed at least a couple of times, his arrival delayed.

So again I went back to waiting. Trying to keep focused on the task at hand. The Count Down for an Arabian Breeder's Annual Open House was doing it's usual bounces and jerks trying to come together on time so I tried to stay focused, not really having the time to worry but not able to let go.

The new delivery time came and went and again no word of the arrival of my horse (well, one of my horse babies!). Imagine me sitting on my hands trying hard not to bug these poor people when those very same hands needed to be working ninty miles an hour. That's sure how it felt. I resisted but I was dying inside. I just wanted to know this beautiful Arabian horse had arrived safe and sound...............and I wanted to know that dad was happy with his purchase.

Finally the call came from Rich Baker. It was short and and to the point. The driver had gotten lost and driven way, way, way (like hours) out of his way. But things had finally worked out. The driver had found his way. The delivery had been made. Rhythm was home!

The Arabian horse had come off that rig just like the king he thinks that he is. Talking and romping and glad to be free of wheels beneath his hooves, Rhythm commanded his audience pay him homage. I've pretty darn sure from what I was told, that is exactly what they did.

Once at the barn Rhythm made sure to tell all of his new brothers that he had arrived. It was clear from his tone that the horse was staking claim to his new territory. I think the other boys (3 Arabian geldings) didn't have a clue what hit them that day. Their lives had just changed forever and they hadn't a clue how or why it had happened. All they knew for sure was that it did.

And Dad, well dad was pretty darn happy with the horse he bought for his daughter, sight unseen. He had been prepared for a special horse but the picture in his mind's eye paled against the living, maybe fire breathing horse that walked off that trailer. I swear I could hear his smile on the phone.

To be continued.........................

Visit Blog Village and vote daily for this blog Here They are now measuring the rankings by votes out, so if you find my blog on the site, please click that link too to improve my rankings. TY


  1. Yay, I'm so glad he was happy with him. But then how could he not be, Rythym is one hell of a horse.

  2. Very interesting post and the photo is very nice.

  3. Great post! Can't wait to hear more stories about his new life! :)

  4. Wow - look at that mane! Love it.

  5. Sounds like a happy ending for all concerned.

  6. I'm glad he arrived safely. It is always a worry when I am not involved directly in transport.

    I do hope you will post updates on him, his success(s) and his new family.

    The best to you Rythym!

  7. Wow. beautiful.

    Random question:
    I see horses when I go to the football; police horses. They seem somewhat fatter than your horses. Are Arabian horses leaner?

  8. He's gorgeous and thank you for the smile that the brought me.

  9. I am so glad the dad was happy with the horse he had bought. I've bought numerous yearlings sight unseen but for the video or the photos...

    Love the photo's too!

    :-) Beth

  10. Kahless said...

    Wow. beautiful.

    Random question:
    I see horses when I go to the football; police horses. They seem somewhat fatter than your horses. Are Arabian horses leaner?
    I can answer this Kahless! Many times those horses are Quarter horse/draft horse crosses. They are bigger and heavier boned than an Arabian horse.

  11. I just discovered your blog this week and I can't (or maybe don't want to) count the number of hours I've spent reading your posts. You have such a great way of telling a story. It's like I just can't stop reading! Have you ever thought of putting some of this together into a book?

    You have beautiful horses and I can't wait to keep reading and learning more about them.