Monday, September 24, 2007

A Baby Boomer Dreams of Arabian Horses - The Search Part 7


Part 1 of the Baby Boomer Series

Part 1 of The Search

OK, OK, can anyone tell me why anyone would name a sweet Arabian filly a name like Ballyhoohoo. Because, don't ask me, I haven't a clue. All I know is that's the name of that filly that Dave and Lindsay coudln't resist. I imagine it started off because her mother's name was Ballet PM. but where the hoohoo on the end came from is anyone's guess. That hoohoo was important to them because "Hoohoo" was her barn name.

At the time I bought this Arabian horse the Registry didn't allow you to change names or believe me, I'd have done it in a heart beat. I couldn't believe that sweet, sweet filly had such an awful, awful name. But you could bet by the time she arrived at my house she'd have a new barn name. Rattling around in my head I could see visions of showing her babies in the future. The announcer would call out the foal's name and the say sire's name, Scandalous Legacy and out of snicker, snort, titter, titter, Ballyhoohoo hoooooooooo snicker, snort, snicker. Well, you get the picture.

On the day we went to pick the filly up, they were leading her around the yard with their young son on her back. The filly was just two at the time. She wasn't batting an eye, packing that kid like she'd been doing it her whole life. Content in her role as family pet. I think that was part of her appeal to Dave and Lindsay.

For me, this Arabian horse was a very correct mare with a strong pedigree. Even though the horses up close were bred by these breeders and were relatively unknown horses, the horses behind them were some of the greats, Gai Seance, Barich de Washoe, Ruminaja Bahat and Morafic to name a few.

I think that Lindsay and Dave stayed out in the yard playing with the filly and looking at the other horses while I went inside to do paperwork. After talking to the breeders for a while about horses and pedigrees and boxers and even their move pending to Oregon, I decided to ask if I could lease the gray mare that they wouldn't sell to me. The next year Legs would be two and I wanted to breed a couple of mares to see how he was going to do as a breeding horse. Surprisingly they told me that they would lease me the mare the following spring. And would you believe, all of their broodmare leases came with an option to buy?

Continued.............

Part 8


4 comments:

  1. "Option to buy..." I think I can see where this one is going. ;)

    Sounds like BallyHH was a really calm sweet little filly. Totally different than my little filly (though she does have a good mind). I always have liked the calm sweet ones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Ya know...I often times wonder why people name their horses, cats, dogs, etc the way they do. One of those things that make you go "hmmmmmm". LOL!

    Now I'm horrible at remembering names especially in a pedigree BUT I did recognize Morafic! :D But then that name isn't really as hard to remember as some of the others...LOL! And it's one of the only names I can remember that's on Diago's pedigree...LOL!

    Fingers crossed that you were able to buy that mare you wanted!! :D Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I like a name that shows a sense of humor. Just think of the names you could get out of BallyHooHoo. You could start your own line...like instead of Bey it woud be Hoo...

    KnockKnock Hoos There
    What The HOO
    Hoo Goes There
    WhooHoo

    Ok, maybe it would be a bit corny. However, she looks like a beautiful mare on your website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lady of chaos, she is the sweetest mare you'd ever want to meet.

    equinespirit, this is definitely a "hmmmmmmmmmm" thing for me! lol

    Morafic is a heavy hitter for type in the Arabian breed. He had a very exotic head!!

    showmama, my friend, Sue Lewis, always says "You gave that horse a show horse name, didn't you?" I don't think that list is quite what she had in mind. LOL

    But definitely worth a good chuckle.

    She is a beautiful mare, the picture does not do her justice.

    ReplyDelete